HCC Annual Student Awards 2016
Posted 31st March
The Hackney Community College annual student awards 2016, was held at the Amazon Fashion Photography Studio, just a short walk from the college. Amazon opened its state of the art studio in July 2015 and uses the space to produce more than half a million fashion images each year for its European websites.
The event was attended by students and their families and friends, college staff, stakeholders and partners, as well as VIPs including the Speaker of Hackney Cllr Sade Etti and London Assembly Member Jennette Arnold OBE.
It recognised the successes and achievements of students representing all areas of the college.
It was also a stunning showcase of talent, with show pieces by performing arts and circus students and a media students’ showreel.
It was particularly fitting that the evening, which took place during London Fashion Week, included a catwalk display of the college’s fashion students’ work. Guests were also treated to a selection of delicious cakes, baked and served by the college’s hospitality students.
Award winners include high academic achievers, students showing exceptional skills, those who have made outstanding progress or a positive impact through their college activities.
Principal Ian Ashman said: “Tonight’s event shows what our college is all about. Many truly inspirational students have been awarded for their efforts and success, and our guests have been treated to some amazing shows. This student awards event is just a small snapshot of the work that our college does, and the winners tonight are superb representatives of our college community. I would like to extend particular thanks to Amazon Fashion for hosting the event at their amazing Photography Studio and who have helped us to make the evening so special.”
Jeff Strauss, Manager of Amazon’s European Fashion Photography Studio in Hoxton said “It was our pleasure to host Hackney Community College for their annual awards evening. The students have so much passion for fashion! I was impressed with the creativity of the clothes that were showcased for the fashion show and the energy of the performing arts students. In a local community it is important to support each other and I’m happy we were able to make the Amazon studio available to the students for this event. Good luck to all of the students in their future ventures.”
Awards were announced by HCC Student Association President Jamal Rjoul and Student Association Women’s Officer Rose Fernando.
Hackney Community College Award Winners: 2016
- Fashion student of the year – technical skills: Gloria Agyei
- Fashion student of the year – inspirational fashion design: Maria Paz Barreto Perez
- Vocational achievement: Chetan Chauhan
- Academic achievement: Sarah Hesse
- Most improved student: Divine Tuna
- Apprentice of the year: Aurelie Tudeau
- Creative / tech award: Halima Fazli
- Contribution to the local community: Kevin Alcantara Cristavao
- Inspiration to others: Mehmet Teke
- Learner voice award: Student Association 2014/15
- Outstanding contribution to the college: Janaki Greco
- Living our HCC values: Jamal Rjoul
- Outstanding progress: Flora Alabi
- Promoting equality and diversity: Abdul Fattah
- Sportswoman of the year: Kertreece Seraphin
- Sportsman of the year: Agnelo Rodrigues Monteiro
- Women in trades: Salina Rahman, Indigo Beaumont
- ESOL student of the year: Peri Simsek
- Performing arts/Circus arts student of the year: Thorne Bailey
- Professional Studies student of the year: Dempsey Miah
- The HCC teamwork award: Disability cricket team
The ceremony also celebrated students who have won external awards during the year:
- Michael Hogarth: Hackney Cut Films young judges’ choice
- Dempsey Miah: Hackney Cut Films 16-19 and Overall judges’ choice
- Girls’ football team: Tottenham Hotspur Christmas Tournament winners
- Danny Francomb and Yvonne Daley: North London Catering Cup
- HCC Basketball Academy: AoC Sport London Regional Championship winners
- Richard Barnes: Lord’s Taverners Disability Cricket player of the year
- Disability cricket team: Lord’s Taverners Disability Cricket Champions.
Amazing pics: Matt Writtle